Shockingly, most insurance policyholders in Arizona kept buying from the same company for at least the last four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never shopped around. The average driver in the U.S. can cut their rates by up to 46.5% a year just by comparing rates, but they think it’s difficult to find affordable insurance rates.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to find affordable car insurance rates in Scottsdale is to begin comparing prices regularly from insurers in Arizona. You can compare rates by completing these steps.
First, try to learn a little about the different coverages in a policy and the measures you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many policy risk factors that are responsible for high rates like getting speeding tickets and poor credit rating can be controlled by paying attention to minor details. Keep reading for tips to help prevent high rates and get discounts that may be overlooked.
Second, request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agencies can quote rates from multiple insurance companies.
Third, compare the new quotes to your existing coverage and determine if there is any savings. If you find a lower rate quote and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
One thing to remember is to use identical coverages on every quote request and and to look at all possible companies. Doing this ensures an accurate price comparison and many rates to choose from.
Learn How to Buy Car Insurance More Affordably
Many factors are used in the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Most are fairly basic such as your driving record, but other factors are less obvious such as your credit history or your commute time.
The itemized list below are most of the major factors used by companies to determine your prices.
- Is your vehicle theft-ready? – Selecting a car model with a theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Advanced theft deterrents like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers help track and prevent your car from being stolen.
- A good credit rating can save money – Credit score factor in determining premium rates. Drivers with good credit tend to file fewer claims than drivers with bad credit. If your credit history is lower than you’d like, you may save money insuring your GMC Sierra by improving your credit score.
- Companies want multiple policies – Most larger insurance companies will award better rates to buyers that have more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, it’s in your best interest to compare other Scottsdale Sierra insurance rates to ensure the best deal. You may still save more without the discount by splitting coverages up.
- More miles equals more premium – The more miles you rack up on your GMC every year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Many insurance companies charge rates partially by how you use the vehicle. Vehicles used primarily for pleasure use cost less to insure compared to those used for work or business. It’s a smart idea to ensure your declarations sheet shows the correct driver usage, because it can save money. Improper usage on your Sierra is just wasting money.
- How much liability coverage – Liability coverage will protect you if you are found to be at fault for an accident. Liability insurance provides you with a defense in court starting from day one. This coverage is relatively inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so drivers should carry high limits.
GMC Sierra insurance claim data – Insurance companies analyze claim trends for every vehicle to help calculate premium rates. Models that the statistics show to have higher number or severity of losses will have increased rates. The next table shows the collected loss data for GMC Sierra vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles compiled together equals 100. Percentage numbers below 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while numbers that are greater than 100 indicate more frequent claims or statistically larger losses.
GMC Sierra Insurance Loss Statistics Specific GMC Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury GMC Sierra 1500 2WD 89 122 106 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD 97 86 79 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 2WD 87 99 132 69 69 89 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4WD 89 102 114 52 51 73 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 2WD 98 109 96 70 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4WD 78 85 89 65 56 94 GMC Sierra 2500 4WD 70 56 GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 2WD 63 101 GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 4WD 91 118 105 43 50 90 GMC Sierra 2500 Ext Cab 4WD 67 108 85 40 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab 4WD 85 128 121 35BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Rates and information analytics
The coverage information below highlights estimates of insurance policy prices for GMC Sierra models. Having a good understanding how auto insurance policy rates are formulated can benefit drivers when making smart choices when selecting a coverage provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$258||$466||$300||$18||$90||$1,132||$94|
|Sierra SL Extended Cab 2WD||$258||$466||$300||$18||$90||$1,132||$94|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$258||$466||$300||$18||$90||$1,132||$94|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 2WD||$292||$548||$300||$18||$90||$1,248||$104|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$292||$548||$300||$18||$90||$1,248||$104|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$292||$548||$300||$18||$90||$1,248||$104|
|Sierra SLE Extended Cab 4WD||$292||$548||$300||$18||$90||$1,248||$104|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$292||$548||$300||$18||$90||$1,248||$104|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 2WD||$292||$548||$300||$18||$90||$1,248||$104|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 4WD||$292||$548||$300||$18||$90||$1,248||$104|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 4WD||$292||$548||$300||$18||$90||$1,248||$104|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$292||$548||$300||$18||$90||$1,248||$104|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$324||$632||$300||$18||$90||$1,364||$114|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 2WD||$324||$632||$300||$18||$90||$1,364||$114|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 4WD||$324||$632||$300||$18||$90||$1,364||$114|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Arizona minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, and homeowner. Premium amounts do not factor in garaging location in Scottsdale which can increase or decrease premiums noticeably.
The information below illustrates how your deductible choice and can increase or decrease GMC Sierra premium costs for each different age category. The rate quotes are based on a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Full coverage rates vs. liability-only
The chart below shows the difference between GMC Sierra annual premium costs with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The premium estimates are based on no violations or claims, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to eliminate full coverage
There is no definitive formula for eliminating comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s say your GMC Sierra replacement cost is $3,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, you would only receive $2,000 after you pay the deductible. If premiums are more than $200 a year for full coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are some scenarios where buying only liability insurance is not a good idea. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage.
Car insurance rates and discounts
Companies don’t list every possible discount very well, so the list below contains some of the best known and also the lesser-known credits available to you.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying coverage for several vehicles on a single policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Good Grades Discount – A discount for being a good student may save as much as 25% on a Scottsdale car insurance quote. You can use this discount normally up to age 25.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags may qualify for discounts of 25 to 30%.
- No Claim Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can earn big discounts as compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Drivers over the age of 55 are able to get better car insurance rates.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with one company you could get a discount of as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Low Miles Discount – Low annual miles could qualify for better car insurance rates on cars that stay parked.
- Government Employee Discount – Simply working for the federal government can save as much as 8% with a few car insurance companies.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Not all insurance carriers offer life insurance, but some may give you better premium rates if you take out some life insurance too.
One thing to note about discounts is that most discount credits are not given to the whole policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Despite the fact that it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it doesn’t quite work that way. Any amount of discount will help lower your policy premium.
The illustration below shows the difference between GMC Sierra auto insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the rates. The premiums assume a male driver, no violations or accidents, Arizona state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, multi-car, and marriage discounts applied.
For a list of insurers who offer car insurance discounts in Scottsdale, click here.
One last thing to lower rates
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s very important that you do not buy poor coverage just to save money. In many cases, consumers will sacrifice full coverage only to regret at claim time they didn’t have enough coverage. The goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Insureds switch companies for a number of reasons such as denial of a claim, policy cancellation, delays in paying claims and lack of trust in their agent. Regardless of your reason, switching companies can be easy and end up saving you some money.
Some insurance companies don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and many times these smaller providers provide coverage only through independent insurance agencies. Budget-friendly car insurance in Scottsdale is definitely available on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, so you should compare both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
Additional car insurance information is located at these links:
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Safe Drivers in Scottsdale? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota Corolla in Scottsdale? (FAQ)
- How Much are Scottsdale Auto Insurance Rates for a Company Car? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford F-150 in Scottsdale? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 50 in Scottsdale? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a 20 Year Old Female in Scottsdale? (FAQ)
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)
- Honda warning system reduces insurance claims (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)